Saturday, March 28, 2015

Connect.


On a suggestion from her aunt, Kaecey Ayers began volunteering at the Saint Therese at Oxbow Lake campus in Brooklyn Park. Over a year later, the 17-year-old high school student volunteers on a weekly basis and loves every minute of it.

As a volunteer, Kaecey visits one-on-one with residents around the campus. She leads activities like bingo, horseshoes and games in the transitional care neighborhood.

Some days she takes people for walks around the campus and even helps the activity director in the office.

“I love the connections I’ve made here at Saint Therese, real, genuine connections,” Kaecey said. “I lose so much time when I talk with residents; they have so many stories to share, and I enjoy learning about them.”

One of Kaecey’s favorite people to visit is Jean Batton. Kaecey visits with Jean often and the two talk about anything that comes to mind that day. Sometimes the conversation revolves around what is happening in Kaecey’s life such as school or volunteering. Sometimes Jean shares stories from long ago about her husband, their family and the many unforgettable chance occurrences that life creates.

Even with more than 60 years between them, the two can spend time talking and laughing, while relating to each other’s experiences in life.

For Kaecey, volunteering at Saint Therese has revealed a wealth of life skills. She has built relationships and gained a new perspective on life; something she wouldn’t have had without volunteering.

“I’m normally a shy person,” Kaecey said. “Volunteering opens me up and builds my communication skills.”

Those communication skills will help Kaecey in the future as she hopes to become a student in the University of Minnesota’s Nursing program. Her experience at Saint Therese helped solidify her decision to go into health care and serve others, possibly in geriatric care.

“I really feel like I’m making a difference,” Kaecey said smiling. “I had a great time with someone who needed a visit. Volunteering gives me a new appreciation for people.”

No comments:

Post a Comment